Saturday, May 3, 2008

C is for Caramel-Banana Pie

Ok so its really banana caramel pie, but it works reversed too :)

On of my favorite places to eat in the entire world is Mammy's Cupboard in Natchez,MS. They have the best food ever. They are also known for their desserts. When you go eat there, they don't ask if you want dessert they ask what you want for desert. My favorite dessert there would have to be their banana-caramel pie. I have been bound and determined to find that recipe and I think I succeeded. I have made a few over the past few months and have been asked the recipe a few times. I will share:

Ingredients
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 graham cracker crust
3-4 bananas

For whipped topping:
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heath bits

To make the caramel, place the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan (peel the label off first), and add enough water to cover at least 3 inches above the can. Make sure the can is covered at all times, b/c if not it will explode. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 hours, adding more water as necessary. I would do 3-4 can at a time and keep the other cans in pantry so you already have caramel for next time. Remove from heat and cool. I would refrigerate overnight.

To make the pie: Open the can of caramel. Spread a thin layer on the bottom of the pie crust. Slice the bananas and layer on top. Cover with the remainder of the caramel. (Putting the caramel on top keeps bananas from turning brown). Refrigerate

To make whipped topping (You can always just use cool whip if you prefer)
Pour the whipping cream into a mixing bowl, and beat until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream over the bananas. Top that with Heath bits (optional) Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

YUMMY!!
(P.S.- I promise I am not going to keep blogging about food)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that place.
the first time I ate there was your wedding weekend! So fun.

Thanks for the recipe. But let's be honest. I will probably never make it. I need to learn to cook....

LOVE!!

LT (and Max) said...

hey! i just posted about heather's bday...you definitely need to read it and then leave a comment about your favorite heather story! :)

hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Just ate banana caramel pie at Mammys last week and there was no caramel on the bottom, and, she used regular pie crust, not graham cracker crust. I thought it was wonderful.