Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What does that mean?

I had the pleasure of talking to my sweet Ging-Ging on the phone yesterday. For those of you who have never had the distinct honor of meeting my grandmother- let me elaborate. She is about 4'11 and oh-so precious. She defines southern drawl and the typical southern "bless her heart" and "oh my lands" (I still don't know what that means) phrases. The only time I ever saw her do anything foul was once when my grandfather complained about something she cooked being too salty, she flipped him off not knowing that anyone was looking. Since I am the only grandaughter and I look like her, she pretty much thinks I hung the moon. I can do no wrong and take no bad pictures in her eyes. Fine by me. I got away with alot when I stayed at Ging-Ging's house.

So little Ging-Ging called me yesterday to check up on me and see how I was doing and gossip and so on. A few minutes into our conversation went something like this:

GG: "Well, have you gotten fat yet?"

Me: "Oh yeah, but I'm not showing quite as much as I thought I would be by this time"

GG: "Well thats ok, darlin'. You are built to carry a child without showin' too terribly much"

HUH? What does that mean? Did my Ging-Ging just call me fat? Or big-boned, or whatever? Normally, the comment wouldn't have gotten me pondering, but I had just watched a show on Discovery Health about these four women who didn't know they were pregnant until they were in labor. What did they all have in common? Yep, they were all OBESE

Awesome.

THANKS, GING-GING.


My cute brother (I know, he got the skinny-genes) about to walk Ging-Ging down the aisle

Me (20 pounds ago) and Ging-Ging

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love grandmothers. and mother-in-laws. In the words of my mother-in-law "I am surprised by how pale you are in the summer".
Awesome.
i love sheer honesty.

and can I just assure you that you are NOT a fatty. Dumb? Yes. Fat? No. You are presh. When I get knocked up I hope I look like you.