Thursday, June 19, 2008

O is for "Oh my Gosh" Nan's first celebrity encounter


Let me set the scene: 5:00 Thursday afternoon, Publix grocery store across from the church. Me, looking rather frumpy in my big maternity pants, going in for milk and some other items. I am standing in the checkout line and as I am eyeing the candy bars and gum I look out of the corner of my eye and see none other than Tiger Woods. Not kidding.  He was 30 inches from me. His groceries were on the check out belt right behind my groceries with only a plastic bar separating them. I immediately get nervous and I can't stop looking, although I am trying to act inconspicuous and non chalant.  I think I started to sweat a little. I mean this guy is in the Gillette commercials and was just on the yahoo homepage. Even the check-out lady did a double take. For those who are dying to know he was buying two bags of  Dole pre-packaged salad and two containers of coffee creamer (one original, one french vanilla). He was donning a tight red nike workout shirt, backwards baseball cap, sunglasses, windpants, and some kickin' tennis shoes. Looking very similar to the above photo (minus the flexing).  I tried to check out his knee injury, but he was wearing loose pants. He was also talking on his cell phone the whole time. I wonder who he was talking to. 

Anyhow, as I was getting in my car calling Jeremy to rub it in his face I see Tiger getting in his black Escalade and he is right behind me as I leave to go home. I should have slammed on my brakes so he would have rear ended me. He then would have maybe bought me a new car and perhaps something for the baby. But oh well. I am so excited to finally have a celebrity siting after being in Orlando for two years! I was beginning to think it would never happen. 

No comments: