Sunday, December 12, 2010

Happy 2nd Birthday, Leyton


Leyton,

Today, you are two.

No, not just two -- you are TWO! You are TWO!, in capital letters, with an exclamation point. You are a toddler. A little boy. Officially, forever, not a baby anymore.

It sounds so cliché to wonder where the time went, but seriously: It seems like just yesterday we were bringing tiny, clench-fisted little you home from the hospital, and now you're walking. You're talking. You're amazing.

I'm having a tough time writing this to you, buddy. I don't want to forget to include a single detail about the incredible kid you're becoming, but no matter how long and detailed I make this letter, I know that there is absolutely no way I can do you justice. You are this unstoppable force in my life, a little boy made up of energy and light. You are utterly indescribable. You defy the boundaries of words; you surpass everything I could have possibly imagined you to be.

You are the best part of my day, every single day. The instant I open the door to your room in the morning, you spring up from where you're lying in you crib and shout, "morning, momma!" and lay your head down on my shoulder. And in the car on the way to school or wherever we may be going, you jabber in the back seat and, I find myself smiling like a fool at the sound of your sweet voice. Every day, it seems, I find something to marvel at when it comes to you.

Living with you these days is such an adventure, because Daddy and I never know what you're going to do or say next. You've had a huge language explosion over the past couple of months, and we can't keep up with all the new phrases you're picking up on a daily basis. You constantly surprise us with everything you know. I can't even describe how incredible it is to be able to talk to you, to hear you respond, to see understanding in your eyes when we tell you something. You understand us! You really do! It is the most amazing feeling to have watched you grow you from a tiny newborn who was incapable of communication (beyond crying, that is, and you certainly did a lot of that) to the little boy who can now ask us for just about anything he wants. Like Dora, big trucks and goldfish. You always want Dora, big trucks and goldfish.

Leyton, sometimes you are so independent and impossible. Right now your most common phrase is "no way!" You are stubborn and emotional and can throw temper tantrums worthy of a child who's been two for at least six months (but thank you for only throwing those about once a week). You are unintentionally hilarious when you get mad. You test boundaries and deliberately disobey and flat-out refuse to listen. You are completely and utterly exhausting at times, but even at your worst, I couldn't possibly imagine loving you more.

Other times, most of the time, you are so sweet that it just about breaks my heart. You approach the world with curiosity and fearlessness, but with just the right amount of caution. I love watching you explore. I love seeing this world through your eyes. Everything glows under the light of your gaze.

I have been told, if you want to remember something you should close your eyes and take a mental snapshot. Here are some of the snapshots I have of you in my head, some of the things I just love about your two-year-old self that I never want to forget: You have entered the "question phase" and every five minutes you ask us "what you doooin?" or "what's dat?" You also like to put your hand behind your ear and say "Listen, momma." You love to dance and spin "round and round". You are so proud of your self when you count to ten or answer a question and immediately start clapping and saying "Yay, Leyton" when you get done. You love to sing, especially "itsy bitsy spider." You love when daddy tickles you in your sweet spots which is under your arm and on the back of your thigh. You love cows, choo choo trains, big trucks, firetrucks, race cars, and airplanes more than just about anything in the world, except bacon. Man, do you love bacon. You also have a bad habit of chewing the rubber wheels off of all your cars and trucks. You sleep with your little blue elephant "Ellie" and it takes you awhile when you wake up to part with it. You love to have us read you books. It is about the only time you will sit still in my lap and then when we get done you say "read it again!" You love to help with chores, especially unloading the dishwasher and cleaning up your toys before bed. You love to be outside and you love to swing. You can sometimes be such a ham that I wonder how we are related. You love your daddy. I mean, you always have, but he is like your buddy now and sometimes it is much cooler to do things with him than it is me. And that's ok. When we drop you off at school or Sunday school, you refuse to walk from the car inside unless you are being carried. Same when being picked up. I have to tote all 28 lbs of you and your stuff. Otherwise, you run and run all over the house and are rarely still. You have been very stubborn about wearing clothes lately and have been trying to take them off. You refuse to wear pants when we are just staying and home and will only let me put them on you if we are going somewhere.

I love the pitter-patter of your bare feet (because they are always bare; you refuse to wear socks if you are not also wearing shoes) as you run around the house. I love singing to you and praying with you before bedtime. It is one of those rare times in the quiet where you just snuggle next to me with your head on my shoulder (or daddy, we take turns tucking you in). I love the look on your face and the light in your eyes when you’re proud of yourself. I love the way you run to me and almost knock me over with the force of your hugs, how you still reach up your arms to me to be picked up. I wonder how much longer you'll do those things.

I can't believe how quickly you're growing up. You're beginning to develop an identity outside of me and Daddy; you're becoming an independent, wonderful little boy full of personality.

Have I ever told you how I pray for you? I pray every morning and every night that you will grow up to be a wonderful God fearing man and that we, as parents, glorify Him on our journey. And even though you've been with us now for two years, I find that each time I look at you I see you as if it's for the first time. You still take my breath away, for hundreds of thousands of reasons that change every day. And while sometimes I miss that snuggly little baby you were, I am so proud of the sweet little man you’re becoming. It is an honor to hear you call me Mommy, to have the pleasure of watching you grow and learn and explore, to be the recipient of your mighty hugs and messy, delicious kisses. Being with you & daddy is the greatest joy of my life.

Happy Second Birthday, my handsome little man. You are pretty much the most awesome kid ever. And you’re mine...my boy.

Love,

Mommy


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my. I should have read this before I put on my mascara. Crying. So so sweet. Happy birthday sweet boy

Noelanne said...

You did it!!!! You said it all and beautifully as well. I am so proud of you!!! Leyton will never know a moment when he hasn't been loved and cherished!!! YOU make this momma so proud!!! I love you all!!!

Kristen said...

How dare you make a poor unsuspecting grown woman cry! I should have know about two words in that I was done for... I love him, I love you- you all are amazing!

Happy Birthday Leyton!

In The Lyme Fight said...

This made me cry. So sweet. You are an amazing mom and you have such a special little man!