Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mississippi Part II: Downtown Natchez

I couldn't make the trip home without heading to downtown Natchez. If you have never been, you should go. It is so beautiful, charming and chock full of history. I think I took this for granted being that I grew up there, but now I realize what a unique place it is and I enjoy it more when I go back. I hope one day Leyton will enjoy visiting it as much as I do.


Overlooking the mighty Mississippi

At the Gazebo with Daddy. I love this picture.


Strolling down Main Street


"Natchez is unlike any place in America, existing almost outside of time,... In some ways it isn't part of Mississippi at all. The oldest city on the Mississippi River, Natchez stands white and pristine atop a two-hundred-foot loess bluff, the jewel in the crown of nineteenth-century steamboat ports. ...her character is more cosmopolitian than cities ten times her size. Parts of New Orleans remind me of Natchez, but only parts... Two hundred miles upriver, Natchez exists in a ripple of time that somehow eludes ... the present. I've been away for years, but no one who grows up here ever really leaves this town behind" -Greg Isles

No comments: