Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday, Sweet Boy!

one day

one year



Dear Leyton,

I cannot begin to tell you how fast this year has flown by. From 6:37 pm on December 12, 2008 when they laid you in my arms, life has been a beautiful whirlwind. You are the most joyous and undeserved gift we could ever receive. You are so full of energy that I don't know how we keep up most days.

You are more beautiful than I ever dreamed you would be. You got my face shape, cheeks, and eyes but you were blessed with daddy's olive skin, dark long lashes, and golden brown eye color. You were also blessed with big, floofy lips that you got from neither of us. We think you inherited them from your Gigi. You have such a husky little boy voice and the most beautiful, contagious laugh I have ever heard. You love to: bring us books to read to you, walk around with a big grin on your face with your arms up in the air, walk really fast into our arms when we kneel down, sometimes you walk so fast you get tripped up, watch Mickey Mouse and play outside. You will do anything to make Daddy and I laugh. You are quite silly and are developing quite a mischeivious sense of humor. You occasionally lay your sweet head down on my shoulder for a hug and when you feel like it you give the best kisses around. You get so excited over the smallest things like hearing us read you a book, playing peek-a-boo and bath time. These moments make me forget about all the adult stresses and I can just be child-like and carefree with you. I love trying to see the world from your point of view. The way your eyes sparkle when you get excited makes life worthwhile.

But before you get all excited thinking you must be the perfect baby, I should let you in on a few secrets: You are developing quite a boisterous personality. You like to: thrown your toys down the stairs to watch them bang up against the wall, shake everything- even things you know won't move, drop your elephant out of your crib so one of us will come get it, pick up every piece of food on your tray and throw them on the floor while you think we aren't looking, and you have started throwing some "toddler tantrums" here and there. You do not like the phrase "no-sir" one bit (although mostly you ignore it).

But please know that I wouldn't change a single thing about you or one minute of this past year. I may have lost alot of sleep in those first few months, but those moments in the stillness of the morning when it was just you and I rocking in the darkness- I wouldn't trade that for anything. You have grown up so fast and I wish I could freeze time and do it all over again. I wish I could bottle up the sweet smell of your head in the morning and the sound of your giggle. Oh how I anticipated your first smile, your first laugh, your first word and your first steps. Facing your first birthday has been bittersweet. Part of me wants you to always be a baby. But then again no matter how old you get, you will always be my baby. Just like I am always going to be my momma's baby and so on. I look forward to the next year with you as you enter the lovely world of toddlerhood. I can't wait to hear the funny things you will say and the cute things you will do. I pray that your father and I do a good job of raising you to love and walk with the Lord. I thank God everyday for you, my sweet boy.

Happy Birthday,
Momma


"Today you are you! That is truer than true!
There is no one alive...who is you-er than you!
I am what I am! That’s a great thing to be!
If I say so myself,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!”

~Dr. Suess

2 comments:

Allison Lepine said...

Oh Nan this is so sweet it made me cry! Happy birthday to your little guy!

Anonymous said...

How sweet! What a beautiful little boy