Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Guess who Slept Through the Night?!

That's right! My little guy slept until 6am, ate, and slept some more until 8:30. WAHOO! We moved him from his bassinet in our room into his crib last week and began sleep training. I think this was harder on me than it was on him- being that his room is upstairs and ours is downstairs. He wasn't too happy the first night, but he adjusted very quickly. We began letting him cry (gasp, I know) for 10 minutes and then go in give him his pacifier and rub his head and he falls asleep. Luckily he usually doesn't cry more than the 10 minutes. 
I think what sealed the deal though was weaning him from nursing at night. I believe he was waking up, not because he was hungry, but because he wanted some cuddle time. Jeremy took the night shift Sunday night and Monday night so I could sleep (glorious) and I had always heard it is better if the dad goes in during the night b/c they don't smell mom. 
Well last night was my turn-I went to bed around 10:30 (I even skipped out on the end of the DWTS finale- which by the way I was shocked to see who won this morning on yahoo, bummer) with the monitor practically glued to my ear. I woke up at 3am in a panic and ran upstairs to check on him- he was still alive (whew)!
Around 3:15 he started squirming around a bit so I discreetly put the pacifier in his mouth and he was out. He woke up around 6:00 so I fed him and put him back in the crib and he woke up again at 8:30 with a big fat grin on his face!  Now do I expect him to do this every night? Absolutely not. However, I now know that it IS possible...and that, my friends, is enough for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

GO LEYTON GO!!!!
Such great news!
Love all of you!

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

I read your link from LT....

Good job with the sleep training! It's tough but you have to cut them off at night eventually; it's the only way they can learn to sleep. And a full night of sleep means they are happier and you are happier. A win win situation!!

Kristen said...

WOW- that's HUGE!!! So proud of you both :)